Crusader Madness: Ohio is for Winners

April 8th, 2016 ervoge19

Hey, guys!
I apologize for the incredibly long time between posts—if anything, the fact that I have trouble finding time to write tells you that life at Holy Cross is never boring and I am constantly busy. 🙂  That statement couldn’t be more true in the month of March.  In fact, there is so much to say, that I need to break it up into a few posts (my fault for not looking ahead!).
This first post is about the beginning of my best month at Holy Cross so far–March.

Spring break was March 5th through the 13th, and despite the fact that we only had been on the hill for six weeks since we had returned from our long winter break at home, I appreciated the fact that I got to spend more time with my family.  However, because I went home, I missed the opportunity to go to Lehigh and play in the band for the Patriot League championship game.  Which was an incredible game!
My dad and I cheered and watched the game from Elmhurst, IL.  I don’t normally follow basketball only because it’s never really interested me before, but holy cow was that game close!!  (My family was very confused to see me watching basketball…)  There are no words to describe how excited I was when the second period buzzer sounded and the players stormed the court.  People’s snapchat stories were flooded with videos of fans and students watching from all over the country and even from the stands themselves.

This video from the Patriot League’s YouTube page shows clips from the whole game, but most importantly the ending.

Now, being completely in the dark about all things basketball, I had no idea that this win meant that the Holy Cross men’s basketball team was now competing in the NCAA “March Madness” bracket.  So my excitement only grew when the band was notified that we would be traveling with the basketball team to Dayton, Ohio to cheer them on in the First Four.

The band is so ready for the First Four!

I think it goes without saying that I was excited to be back in the Midwest where the land is flat and Jimmy Johns can be found on every corner. (Yes, I really miss Jimmy Johns. Does it show?)  However, the real excitement was the game.  I had no idea I’d be in for the most stressful game of my life—the second one in only a few weeks.
A bus sponsored by the college brought a lot of students down from Massachusetts to Ohio to watch the game.  The arena was actually filled with a lot of purple shirts despite the fact that we were states away from “home.”  As expected of a game in the NCAA, the First Four game was even closer than the Patriot League game.  I don’t think I have screamed that much during a sporting event in my entire life.  Everyone was bleeding purple, without a doubt.

BLEED PURPLE BLEED PURPLE

That game will be one of my best and most long lasting memories of my college experience for years to come—and it’s only my freshman year!  Watching the Holy Cross men’s basketball team win that game was the most incredible experience of my life.  I am so privileged to have been able to travel with them.

But more is to come!  After winning in Dayton, we got the opportunity to travel all the way to Spokane, Washington to face the number one seed—The Oregon Ducks.
(Continued in the next post)

Spokane or Bust

Spokane or Bust

Best wishes,
Emily Vogelsperger

P.S. I apologize if this post is long and very “story-like” but there were just too many things to say and I tried my best to compress them!